The fort site is easily accessible year round by a traffic free walking route. Access from the west through Newstead village or from the east off the A68 layby by the Leaderfoot viaduct.
One and a half miles east of Melrose, at the edge of Newstead village lies the site of Trimontium Roman fort. The site is now agricultural land, with undulations in the landscape giving subtle clues as to what lies below the surface.
An amphitheatre, the northernmost discovered in the Roman Empire, is clearly visible as a grassy hollow with substantial banking to the northern (river) side. Dry summers, ripening crops and field-walking all expose the truth of the site, the full extent having been discovered by James Curle, local amateur archaeologist in the early 1900’s.
His extraordinary finds, the greatest collection of Roman military objects discovered across Roman Britain and published in his seminal work – Newstead, A Frontier Post and its People (1911) are available online for all to see and are on display in the National Museums of Scotland galleries in Edinburgh.
The Trust run guided walks from Melrose on a regular basis during the summer season. The next walks available can be found via our events page.
Around the fort site The Trust have erected information boards and memorial stones to guide visitors around the site in a circular walk, while unlocking the hidden history that lies in the ground and across the Scottish Borders landscape.
Begin your Roman adventure today…