Getting here: By Road
Trimontium Museum is located in the town Square in Melrose.
From Galashiels/ A7:
Follow signs for the A6091 Melrose and BGH. Once on the A6091, take the second exit at the first roundabout. Take the third exit at the second roundabout, signposted for the Borders General Hospital. Drive straight on past the hospital. Take the first left turn onto the B6374 in Melrose, follow the road until it opens up into the Town Square. The museum is on the left hand side of the square, just before Burt’s Hotel. On street parking is available nearby or follow signs to parking sites within the town.
From the North A68:
Take the third exit onto the A6091Melrose Bypass, following the signs for Galashiels. Take the second right turn onto the B6374 in Melrose, follow the road until it opens up into the Town Square.The museum is on the left hand side of the square, just before Burt’s Hotel. On street parking is available nearby or follow signs to parking sites within the town.
From the South A68:
Take the first exit onto the A6091 Melrose Bypass, following the signs for Galashiels.Take the second right turn onto the B6374 in Melrose, follow the road until it opens up into the Town Square. The museum is on the left hand side of the square, just before Burt’s Hotel. On street parking is available nearby or follow signs to parking sites within the town.
Parking in Melrose:
The museum does not have its own parking facilities. There are several public car parks in Melrose, and both charged and free on street parking. The nearest car park, with paid parking, coach parking, disabled spaces and charging point is at Abbey Car Park, which is a short walk away from the museum.
There is additional free parking beside the public park opposite the Greenyards Rugby Ground, and Priorwood. There is limited free on-street parking directly across from the Trimontium Museum, but parking is only up to one hour duration. There is also a disabled car parking space across from the museum entrance.
To go directly to the Trimontium Fort Site:
The Fort site is situated in Newstead. To reach Newstead, take the A6091 Melrose Bypass. If approaching from the A68, Newstead is first right after the roundabout, on the B6374. If approaching from the A7, Newstead is the second left after the hospital, on the B6374. The start of the walk is beside the covered information board at the top of the village, just as you come off the A6091. Parking is limited and we urge you to park considerately within the village. Additional parking can be found at the Leaderfoot Viaduct, which can be accessed via the A68. Drive past Newstead via the Melrose Bypoass A6091. Take the first exit at the roundabout onto the A68 North. Follow signs to the Leaderfoot Viewpoint which is on the left shortly after the roundabout.
Getting here by rail:
- The nearest station is Tweedbank. From Tweedbank station, you can walk into Melrose via a scenic river walk along the Tweed. The walk takes around 20-30 minutes.
- You can also alight at Galashiels Station to get a bus into Melrose. The Bus Station is directly opposite the railway station.
- For more information please go to Trainline
For other options, please go to Traveline
Getting here by bus:
- From Edinburgh: There are no direct buses from Edinburgh to Melrose. However, there are buses from Edinburgh to Galashiels – Border Bus Services
- From Galashiels: Border Bus Services 61, 67, 68 & 69. There is a bus stop right outside the Trimontium Museum although most bus stops in Melrose are only a short walk to the Museum.
Information for cyclists:
- There are cycle racks around Melrose town centre
- There is a bike shop just 5 minutes from the museum in case you need any equipment or repairs.
- The route from Melrose to Newstead, and then to Leaderfoot, is an excellent cycle route
- You can find more information on local cycle trails around Melrose on the Scottish Borders Council website.