A Roman bridge did at one time cross the Tweed at Leaderfoot near Newstead, conveying the Roman Dere Street north from the fort at Trimontium.
Today, three bridges now cross the river at this point, a modern day Tripontium…
The most instantly recognisable is probably Leaderfoot Railway Viaduct, opened in 1863, which carried the Berwickshire Railway until 1965. It connected the East Coast Main Line between Berwick-upon-Tweed and Edinburgh with the Edinburgh to Carlisle “Waverley Line”.
Leaderfoot is where the Leader Water joins the River Tweed and is part of the National Scenic Area of Eildon and Leaderfoot.
The attractive old Drygrange Bridge that dates from 1780 was designed by Scottish architect and engineer, Alexander Stevens. Its central span of 31 metres was exceptional for its time.
Although the bridge is open to walkers and cyclists it was closed to general traffic in 1974 and replaced to the east by a modern steel box girder bridge carrying the A68 main road to Edinburgh over the Tweed at a higher level.
Watch drone footage by YouTuber Alan Murray here: